Date:      Mon, 29 Jul 2002 16:14:03 +0800
From:      Calvin NG <calvinng@brel.com>
To:        Jim Weeks <jim@jwweeks.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.6 > poppassd fails

Greetings,

  the response from the operating system with regards to
  change password has changed,

  the response used to be
     "rebuilding the database..."

  now, it is
     "updating the database..."

  this causes the poppassd to think that the changing of password
  has failed, because the response does not match any "success"
  response it is looking for.

  edit the .c code, modify "static char *P4[] =" (around line 178)
  accordingly, and you are back in business.

Regards,
/calvin

lines with :> are quotes from Jim Weeks's email
:> Good morning,
:>
:> This is definitely a new problem, I have verified that up through 4.5 it
:> didn't exist, at least for me. I have checked the archives and can't seem
:> to find anything.  What is really strange is that the password is actually
:> changed, but the error indicates that it is not.  A point in the right
:> direction would be appreciated.
:>
:> $ telnet 127.0.0.1 106
:> Trying 127.0.0.1...
:> Connected to localhost.
:> Escape character is '^]'.
:> 200 poppassd v1.2 hello, who are you?
:> user jim
:> 200 your password please.
:> pass mypass
:> 200 your new password please.
:> newpass newpass
:> 500 Unable to change password.
:> Connection closed by foreign host.
:>
:> BTW, the "user not in wheel" bug that had been reported earlier doesn't
:> seem to exist on these machines. All of these have the problem:
:>
:> 4.6-STABLE #1: Fri Jul 12
:> 4.6-STABLE #1: Mon Jul 15
:> 4.6-STABLE #0: Mon Jul 8