Date:      10 Jul 1999 10:35:15 -0000
From:      Dave Walton <walton@nordicrecords.com>
To:        Doug Ambrisko <ambrisko@whistle.com>, walton@nordicrecords.com, nate@mt.sri.com, freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Thinkpad 770

Quoting Doug Ambrisko <ambrisko@whistle.com>:

> Dave Walton writes:
> | Ugh.  The 770z comes with a single 128MB card.  Maybe if I cut it in
> half...
> | So what now?  Wait for 3.3?
>
> Are you sure?  My 770z came with two DIMMs.  Did you take the memory
> cover off and look?  I know the spec's say one.  The second one is half
> tucked away under the case so in total it has room for 3 modules.

Nope, I stand corrected.  I had peeked inside before, but forgot about the
half-hidden module.  Interestingly, the spec sheet says "64MB on motherboard and

2 sockets for two JEDEC 144-pin SDRAM SO-DIMMs".  But the module "on
motherboard" is also socketed and actually has the same IBM part number as the
accessible one.  That suggests that with some careful disassembly it can be
upgraded to 384MB, instead of the 320MB show in the specs.  But 128MB is enough
for me so far.

Anyway, I pulled the one DIMM, booted up, compiled a new kernel with
options MAXMEM=130496, put the DIMM back in, and everything is happy!

Thanks, all, for the assistance.

Dave