Date:      Tue, 27 Aug 2002 14:19:30 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Tim Legg <legg@iastate.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   4.6 Annoyances

Hello,

I just formatted my 4.4 and installed 4.6.  There is a minor problem I am
having with adduser where I get caugt into an endless loop where I can
only ^C to escape.  I scripted the scenario where I create a user called
'joe'.  Note the default username is 'legg' from where I tried to install
my own account as the first account.

I can still add users via /stand/sysinstall, which I eventuall had to do
to create the 'legg' account, but I have always preferred the speed and
efficiency of adduser.

Any comments?  Thanks in advance...

Script started on Tue Aug 27 14:07:38 2002
pc047113# adduser
Use option ``-silent'' if you don't want to see all warnings and questions.

Check /etc/shells
Check /etc/master.passwd
Check /etc/group
Usernames must match regular expression: [legg]: joe
Enter your default shell: csh date no sh tcsh [csh]:
Your default shell is: csh -> /bin/csh
Enter your default HOME partition: [/home]:
Copy dotfiles from: /usr/share/skel no [/usr/share/skel]:
Send message from file: /etc/adduser.message no
[/etc/adduser.message]:
Use passwords (y/n) [y]:

Write your changes to /etc/adduser.conf? (y/n) [n]:

Ok, let's go.
Don't worry about mistakes. I will give you the chance later to correct any input.
Enter username [joe]:
Please enter a username
Enter username [joe]: joe
Please enter a username