Date:      Mon, 10 Apr 2000 18:23:18 +0000
From:      "James A. Abercromby II" <j.abercromby@nettuno.it>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   4.0 Problems

I recently posted to the group w/probs 4.0 and figured the CD was
 hosed, so I made a new install cd and kern.flp / mfsroot.flp floppies
at

 work, w/fdimage and my cdburner.

 Note: I can install 3.4 on this box with no problems.

 Hardware setup.

 1 1.2gig Samsung HD
 1 17gig Maxtor UDMA
 1- Via chipset based FIC PA-2011/2012 (gotta look can't remember which)

 with a AMD 233mhz
 64meg EDO RAM SIMM
 1-3DFX Voodoo 3 PCI
 1-Soundblaster 16  ISA
 1-ASUS 50X ATAPI/IDE CDROM
 1-Case Fan (Working fine)
 1-CPU Fan Working Fine

 INSTALL GOES LIKE THIS.

 Setup the slices then label the partitions
 then select all for everything including all the crypto

 a couple of times during distro/pack/port extractions it would just
time

 out/lock up
 reboot (no other choice) fsck hell begins

 then numerous instances where I tried to install
 I would get to the part where it would come up to the part asking me if

 I would like
 to install linux compatability
 select "YES"
 read the package successfully then when it waits for package add it
 times out and KABOOM
 kernel panic / give up REBOOT- every time no matter what

 Then I tried this:
 install but don't select "YES" for installing linux compatability.
 It worked.
 However,
 Now X has all kinds of library problems.
 as well as the shell
 LDCONFIG and the libraries just seemed wacked out
 X don't work right.

 And the box seems generally UNSTABLE as hell.

 So, I gave up on this box.

 Went to my other machine which has
 1-AMD ATHLON 550MHZ
 1-ASUS K7M ATHLON MB
 128M-PC100 ECC DIMM
 SBLIVE
 G400 MAX 32MEG AGP
 1-QUANTUM FIREBALL 20GIG UDMA
 1-FLOPPY
 1-MITSUMI 48X CDROM

 FBSD 4.0 INSTALLED FLAWLESSLY W/IN 30MINS.
 Everything,
 X, Linux Compat, Setup my dialup networking etc. etc.

 So....
 Now...
 I am really freaked out..

 I went back to the old box
 dicked around with the drive layout on the bios.
 Tried every and any slice/partition setup
 Tried each drive by itself.

 Still having the same results.

 I have a gut feeling it's hardware somewhere,
 but it's very elusive at this point.

 Now, this old FIC MB doesn't support
 udma, and the drives don't have udma
 cables on em.