Date:      Sat, 28 Oct 2000 03:32:20 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Donn Miller <dmmiller@cvzoom.net>
To:        "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <jeff-ml@mountin.net>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: "Malloc type lacks magic" show-stopper solved

I forgot to finish.  See inline.

On Sat, 28 Oct 2000, Donn Miller wrote:

> Well, I believe the "default" instruction set generated by gcc/gas is
> i386.  If you specifify -march=486, you will get i386+i486 instructions
> generated, because i486 contains i386 instructions as a subset.  But if
> one specifies gcc -march=pentium, you will get i586 instructions, which
> includes 586+486+386 machine code.
>
> I guess it depends on the code being compiled.  If there is a case where
> the asm code can

collapse a series of i386 instructions into one i586 instruction, for
example, the resulting code will be slightly smaller.  But, I think the
slight bloating by spec'ing a higher ARCH with -march=ARCH comes from the
ARCH-specific instruction scheduling, which may pad the machine code on
certain boundaries in memory to achieve optimum speed.  In addtion,
extra asm code is sometimes needed to take advantage of the pipelined
architecture of the Pentium.

- Donn