Date:      Sat, 17 Feb 2007 01:38:21 +1100
From:      David Nugent <davidn@datalinktech.com.au>
To:        sans <bindubhaskar@rediffmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-eclipse@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Error : Launch failed no binaries

sans wrote:
> I tried to simple managed make c++ application. I have installed Eclipse and
> CDT plug in using FreeBSD ports.
>
> When I try to build the application, a makefile error is coming 'Error
> expanding embedded variable'.
> On trying to run the application, it results in an error 'Launch failed: no
> binaries' .

Eclipse defaults expect make(1) to be GNU make and this assumption is
what is causing this to fail (you can probably see make(1)'s error text
in the console window). The default make(1) in FreeBSD is not GNU make
nor compatible for any non-trivial makefile.

You need to adjust your make settings which can be found in
Window.Preferences.C/C++.Make.New Make Projects via the workbench menu
(assuming 3.2.1, but iirc it has been there for a while). If you use the
defaults and wish to use GNU make just change the "Build command" to
"gmake". Make sure that you have gmake (devel/make in ports) installed.
gmake will usually be installed as a build dependency automatically if
you build a port that needs it (ie most of them), otherwise install it
directly from package or ports).

Alternatively you can use the adjacent tab in the preferences pane to
adjust the style of makefile eclipse uses to "posix make", and you make
need to set include directories. Disclaimer: I never tried this as I
prefer to maintain my own makefiles. The style setting only affect
projects where Eclipse is managing the makefile, otherwise it just uses
whatever make command you have specified to build.

You can override all of these settings on a per project basis as well in
project properties.

Regards,
David