Date:      Mon, 24 Jun 2002 13:32:44 -0400
From:      "Matthew Emmerton" <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>
To:        "Henning, Brian" <brian.henning@navitaire.com>, "'Jason P Holland'" <jholland@cs.selu.edu>
Cc:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: root partition

See the "99M root" entry?  Close to 2/3 of your disk usage is in root's home
directory.

My first reaction is "oh, you must be using root as your normal login, and
root's homedir is filled with all sorts of user information, like KDE
configuration, bookmarks, netscape cache, etc."  If this is true, please
create a normal user account and use it for your day-to-day stuff, and save
root for system administration (adding packages, adjusting configurations,
etc.)

That may not be the case entirely.  Other culprits include CPAN, which can
easily add a few hundred MB to root's homedir.

Run the same comment from root's home directory (/root) and see what is
using up space.

--
Matt Emmerton