Date:      Wed, 16 Jun 1999 10:03:13 -0500
From:      Kelly Wiles <kellyw@wrs.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   FreeBSD 3.0 to 3.2 is broken, because of elf.

I have been using FreeBSD since 1.x and have been very happy with it,
but ever
since it was changed from aout to elf I have NOT been able to upgrade to
anything
greater than 2.2.8.

The problem is that ld-elf on a lot of packages outputs the following
messages

ld-elf invalid file format
or
ld-elf libXXXX not found

I have searched for hours in the mailing list and FAQ to find an answer,
but any questions
related to these errors are NOT being answered.

I have in the past either upgraded an existing 2.2.8 system to 3.x or
have done a complete
rebuild to 3.x and none have been able to get past the above problems.
I have also downloaded or recompiled packages with little or no luck.

KDE is my current problem.  The KFM program gets an

ld-elf invalid file format

What is going on, are the right people not reading this list any more,
or are you
trying to tell us to start using Linux.

I am sorry if I am hurting anyones feelings but this problem has been
going on
for months with not end in sight.