Date:      Tue, 14 Jul 1998 16:10:00 +0200
From:      The Mad Maniac <TMM@infothuis.nl>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: gateway="yes" and what else?

Scott Mitchell wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 14, 1998 at 02:23:25PM +0200, The Mad Maniac wrote:
> > hello,
> >
> > i just figured out how to run named for a local network, enabling every
> > computer on the lan to use names (local names and inet names).
> > this works quite well.
> >
> > However, when i ping from a client to the gateway machine (also the
> > named server) the ping get's it's name ok, but then there is no route to
> > host. So i guess the gateway isn't really working ok. However, i did set
> > gateway="yes" and routed="yes" in rc.conf. For the rest one can assume i
> > didn't change anything (besides changes needed for named)
> >
> > since i usually babble random, here some drawing to clarify what i want
> > :)
> >
> >   client(lan)  ->   freebsd-machine(gateway)  -> inet
> >
> > the freebsd machine can 'talk' to the inet, and to the client, the
> > client doesn't get any farther than the freebsd-machine.
> >
> > Could someone tell me what i forgot to do?
>
> Did you tell all your client machines to use the FreeBSD box as their
> default gateway?  Can you ping the clients from the gateway?

yes to both :)

> You probably don't need routed for your particular network setup -- static
> routing will be fine.

ok. It sounded important :)

> Also make sure you're using some kind of IP aliasing
> on the gateway box so your local IP numbers don't leak out into the
> Internet (unless they are real, officially assigned numbers...)

Well, they aren't. I use ip 192.168.0.x for the local network. The
gateway has an ip assigned by an ISP (modem using ppp), and also a
192.168.0.x ip for the local network.
How would i use ip aliasing? (if it's in some man page, just tell me
which one, since it's not under aliasing, ip-aliasing or gateway)

 FlorizzzZz