Date:      Tue, 9 Mar 1999 21:24:15 -0600
From:      Guy Helmer <ghelmer@scl.ameslab.gov>
To:        Ian Moore <imoore@hamcoll.schools.sa.edu.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: running dump eats up all the swap space & doesn't release it

On Wed, 10 Mar 1999, Ian Moore wrote:

> Everytime I do a dump to tape, all my swap space dissappears. I have 32
> M RAM on the system & 64M swap space. Normally there is about 60 - 70%
> swap space in use, but everytime I run dump, swap space in use increases
> to 62M & never goes goes back down(until I reboot). The machine is
> acting as a pop server & running squid and dhcpd for windows
> workstations.
> It never runs out of swap space unless I run dump.

What does "ps axvwww" show?  Are you running completely out of swap at
times, or are you concerned about the increase to 90+%?

Swap space in use will not decrease until the process(es) that have had
portions swapped out exit. It sounds as though you have long-running
processes using a large amount of memory, and dump is using lots of
memory, forcing other processes to be swapped out.

Hope this helps,
Guy

Guy Helmer, Ph.D. Candidate, Iowa State University Dept. of Computer Science
Research Assistant, Ames Laboratory       ---         ghelmer@scl.ameslab.gov
Research Assistant, Dept. of Computer Science   ---   ghelmer@cs.iastate.edu
http://www.cs.iastate.edu/~ghelmer