Date:      Sat, 29 Jun 1996 17:42:26 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dave Babler <dbabler@Rigel.orionsys.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Problems with ft

I am at least temporarily saddled with having to use a Colorado QIC-80
drive for backup. The tape is recognized correctly on boot and the driver
has the 'flags 1' setting, but whenever I try to tar to ft, I get
hundreds of:

	fdc0: input ready timeout
	fdc0: output ready timeout

This, even though tar does actually work and I can compare and
restore from the resultant tape. I also tried using dump with ft... and
got a pretty weird result. I tried dumping to /dev/ft0 and dump *looked*
like it was working, and chugged dutifully away - while the tape never
moved an inch. At the end of the dump, it said it was done and was
successful, though I have no idea where it thought it was putting the
data. (I assume /dev/ft0 is essentially the same as /dev/null)

My questions are: are the timeouts telling me something I need to worry
about and/or change, and can ft be used with anything besides tar to do
backups? I'm currently running 2.1-STABLE, though I'm under the
impression the ft driver hasn't changed in eons. The computer is a
486DX2-66 with 16MB of RAM and a 500MB Maxtor, and the Colorado tape is
connected to the normal floppy controller (an all-in-one VLB controller).

-Dave