Date:      Thu, 19 May 2011 13:55:36 GMT
From:      Frank Razenberg <frank@zzattack.org>
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   kern/157182: lagg interface not working together with epair interface on bridge

>Number:         157182
>Category:       kern
>Synopsis:       lagg interface not working together with epair interface on bridge
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Environment:
FreeBSD laggtest.zzattack.org 8.2-STABLE FreeBSD 8.2-STABLE #1: Thu May 19 13:18:35 UTC 2011 root@laggtest.zzattack.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/ZZAT amd64

KERNCONF ZZAT is jsut GENERIC with options VIMAGE
The combination of an epair and lagg interface on a bridge seems to cause problems. When both types of interfaces are added to a bridge, dmesg first outputs

>How-To-Repeat:
csup 8.2-STABLE
build/install/boot into kernel with options VIMAGE
have dhcp server on network
I had a em0 interface, not sure if it works better with others.

ifconfig lagg create laggproto lacp laggport em0
ifconfig em0 up
dhclient lagg0
>Fix:

>Release-Note:
>Audit-Trail:
>Unformatted:
 >> error setting interface capabilities on lagg0

 The bridge can still be used and it both interfaces are on placed on the bridge. It seems however that the epair and lagg do not communicate.

 Initially I believed this to be an epair problem and posted on freebsd-virtualization instead. For reference: http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-virtualization/2011-May/thread.html#707

 >> bound to 10.31.45.194

 ifconfig epair create
 ifconfig bridge create
 ifconfig bridge0 addm lagg0
 ifconfig bridge0 addm epair0a
 >> error setting interface capabilities on lagg0
 ifconfig epair0a up

 dhclient epair0b
 >> no DHCPOFFERS received

 ifconfig bridge0 destroy

 ifconfig lagg0 destroy

 dhclient em0
 >> bound 10.31.45.194

 ifconfig bridge0 addm em0
 ifconfig bridge0 addm epair0a
 ifconfig bridge0 up
 dhclient epair0b
 >> works

 # Note that simply removing lagg0 from the bridge and adding em0 to it instead
 # does NOT work. We need to use a completely new bridge.