Date:      Wed, 20 Sep 2000 01:14:03 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@freebsd.org>
To:        Jan Knepper <jan@smartsoft.cc>
Cc:        Bruce Petro <bpetro@usa.com>, freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Is there a summary of man stuff?

On Tue, Sep 19, 2000 at 07:48:57PM -0400, Jan Knepper wrote:
> Try
> apropos 'whatever'
> or
> whatis 'whatever'
>
> Guess that will help you.

 % apropos <section>

where section is the section number (1-9) will be closer to what you
want.

   Under FreeBSD, the following section numbers and their descrip-
   tions are described below:

             1      FreeBSD General Commands Manual
             2      FreeBSD System Calls Manaul
             3      FreeBSD Library Calls Manual
             4      FreeBSD Kernel Interfaces Manual
             5      FreeBSD File Formats Manual
             6      FreeBSD Games Manual
             7      FreeBSD Miscellaneous Information Manual
             8      FreeBSD System Manager's Manual
             9      FreeBSD Kernel Developers Guide

> Don't worry, be Kneppie!
> Jan
>

> Bruce Petro wrote:
>
> > I've looked at man man and I don't see any option to display a list of all available man pages list single line summaries.
> >
> > IE: Something like this that I snitched from whatis man but a nice alphabetical list or category list of all man pages available:
> > catman(1) - preformat man pages
> > man(1)    - format and display the on-line manual pages
> > man(7)    - quick reference guide for the -man macro package
> > manpath(1)- determine user's search path for man pages
> > pod2man(1)- translate embedded Perl pod directives into man pages
> > ... on and on, a long list ...
> >
> > So I guess my question is as follows:
> > 1. Is there a way to request a man summary like this?
> > 2. Is there a HTML site somewhere that perhaps gives a summary of the standard man pages either alphabetically or even better a summary of man pages ordered by categories!
> >
> > THANKS!

> --
> Jan Knepper
> Smartsoft, LLC
> 88 Petersburg Road
> Petersburg, NJ 08270
> U.S.A.
>
> http://www.smartsoft.cc/
> http://www.mp3.com/pianoprincess
>
> Phone : 609-628-4260
> FAX   : 609-628-1267
> FAX   : 303-845-6415 http://www.fax4free.com/
>
> Phone : 020-873-3837 http://www.xoip.nl/ (Dutch)
> FAX   : 020-873-3837 http://www.xoip.nl/ (Dutch)
>
> In God we Trust -- all others must submit an X.509 certificate.
>     -- Charles Forsythe <forsythe@alum.mit.edu>

		4.4 - The number of the Beastie