Date:      Wed, 14 Apr 1999 09:32:32 -0500
From:      "G. Adam Stanislav" <zen@buddhist.com>
To:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Not again...

At 09:44 14-04-1999 +0200, Marius Bendiksen wrote:
>> Oh, for the love of Mike, please let this bloody thread die.
>
>*nod*

I was going to second that, but now I just have to third it. :-)

I started using FreeBSD sometime in November, and PR had nothing to do with
it. I simply got it because the company that hosts my web site (pair
Networks) uses it, and I wanted to be able to develop and test my CGI
programs at home without having to telnet to pair all the time.

Meanwhile, I am finding myself using FreeBSD more and more, not because of
PR but because I like it.

As for Jordan, I am amazed that he typically finds the time to respond to
so many messages on all the lists. About a decade ago, I used to head a
worldwide programming project (Opus, the Fidonet BBS), and it was very hard
to try to reply to all the messages directed at me, let alone answer
questions posted in echos (the Fidonet name for mailing lists).

The members of the Opus team were strong individuals, and we sometimes
disagreed (not always, mind you), but we always resolved our disagreements
among ourselves.

Members of the FreeBSD team are no doubt strong individuals, too. Otherwise
they couldn't have possibly done so good a job. So, disagreements and
clashes are inevitable. But, IMHO, they are best kept inside the team:
That's where they started, that's where they should be resolved.

By the way, having headed a major free programming project of worldwide
magnitude was an exhausting experience, even though I was relatively young
(I was in my late thirties). It led to total burnout. After that, I just
resigned, and swore to myself I'd never work on free software again. I
started releasing free software again now that I have FreeBSD, but not as a
member of a team.

I am sure Jordan is not perfect (I know I'm not), but being the head of a
team that does all of its work for free is a major headache, and it is nice
to see there are still people willing to do that. There is positively no
reason to make his work even harder.

So, Jordan, all I've got to say to you is: Hang in there, kid!

Adam
---
Want to design your own web counter?
Get GCL 2.10 from http://www.whizkidtech.net/gcl/