Date:      Wed, 30 Sep 1998 12:00:03 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        John Birrell <jb@cimlogic.com.au>
Cc:        ctapang@easystreet.com, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What would it take to build the FreeBSD kernel into Portable Executable (PE) format?

On Wednesday, 30 September 1998 at 12:31:02 +1000, John Birrell wrote:

>>> I thought it has decided that rewriting the FreeBSD kernel in Java was
>>> the more portable solution.
>>
>> This is very much a matter of opinion.  Some say that Java's day is
>> past, and maybe we should use Perl, TCL or Guile.  Despite the GPL, I
>> tend to Guile, and was planning to migrate the LISP version in that
>> direction.
>
> Just as long as the final code works on my microwave.

The target machine is initially a Sunbeam TurboToaster 112S, and
you'll be pleased to know that I'm supporting the breadbun option
right from the first beta.  I anticipate having microwave support a
few months later.  Given the current lack of standardization in
microwaves, it's likely to be a bumpy path, but I'll do my best.  The
web browser support will probably cause particular headaches.  Which
model do you plan to use?

Greg