Date:      Mon, 18 Aug 2008 01:17:26 +0300
From:      Manolis Kiagias <sonic2000gr@gmail.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>,  stacey@vickiandstacey.com
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 7-STABLE +Gnome +Compiz-Fusion?

Stacey Roberts wrote:
> Hi,
>   I'm trying to get Compiz-Fusion + Gnome to work on my newly (completed
> installation + initial upgrades last night) installed IBM T43p notebook,
> but I'm not sure that I'm doing this right..,
>
> Basically, I've: -
>
> 1] Installed OS
> 2] Upgraded OS to latest Stable as of (early AM) Aug 17th 2008
> 3] Upgraded install-time ports (portupgrade, cvsup, etc)
> 4] Installed XORG
> 5] Installed compiz-fusion from ports
> 6] installed gnome2 from ports
> 7] Tried following instructions located here:
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/articles/compiz-fusion/index.html
>
> I can log into Gnome desktop fine, but running the suggested cmds:
>
> % compiz --replace --sm-disable --ignore-desktop-hints ccp &
> % emerald --replace &
>
> as per the article above, doesn't appear to do anything. I mean, what else
> is there that I need to do, besides, please?
>
> Here's some system info:
>
> $ uname -a
> FreeBSD <snipped> 7.0-STABLE FreeBSD 7.0-STABLE #0: Sat Aug
> 16 19:49:12 BST 2008
> root@<snipped>:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/IRON  i386
> $ pkg_info -a | grep -i compiz-fusion | head -3
> compiz-fusion-plugins-main-0.6.0_2
> compiz-fusion-plugins-extra-0.6.0_2
> compiz-fusion-0.6.0_1
> $ pkg_info -a | grep -i gnome2-2 | head -1
> gnome2-2.22.3
> $ pkg_info -a | grep -i xorg-server | head -1
> xorg-server-1.4.2,1
> $
>
> Graphics card: ATI Technologies Inc M22 [Mobility Radeon X300]

The article deals with nvidia-driver only.
I currently don't have any ATI card, hence I can't find the settings
required in xorg.conf for this to work.
If I get a chance to try ATI, I will update the article.
(I am planning to update it for Intel cards though)
> Any help or pointers appreciated, please.
>
> Thanks!

Well, the best I can say is:

- Verify that 3D is working on this card with the open source driver
(you don't have a choice of drivers anyway)
- Check whether compiz-fusion works in Linux with this particular card
and the open source driver.
- If it does, find a suggested xorg.conf and compare it to yours.