Date:      Tue, 19 May 1998 15:08:14 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Malte Lance <malte@webmore.com>
To:        Walter Hafner <hafner@informatik.tu-muenchen.de>
Cc:        Jochen.Solbrig@urz.uni-heidelberg.de, kheuer@gwdu60.gwdg.de, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: scientific plotting

On 12-May-98 Walter Hafner wrote:
> Konrad Heuer <kheuer@gwdu60.gwdg.de> writes:
>> On Tue, 12 May 1998, Jochen Solbrig wrote:
>> > i'm looking for a scientific plotting package which also
>> > can do numerical calculations, like
>> > data fitting or fft. it should be able to edit
>> > data (multiplying data columns, etc.)
>
> The combo 'octave+gnuplot' is in fact not bad. I'm in the process of
> writing a PhD thesis on adaptive color classification in images. I have
> access to Mathematica and Maple. Both of them are totally worthless when
> it comes to handling large amounts of numerical data (i.e. color
> images). The tool of choice in this case (number crunching, analysis and
> plotting) would definitely be MATLAB (not: _not_ Matlab; different
> package). Unfortunately it costs huge amounts of money ...

Have a look at khoros-2.2.0.0 !!! Really
http://www.khoral.com/
khoros is an image-manipulation, -visualization and -analysis package
for signal- and digital-image-processing.
Very professional. Mostly GUI-driven.
I've also tried Maple and Mathematica but they fail in the
grounds (Maple does not know infinite square-functions, which are
important in image-processing. When modelling infinite square-functions,
they can not be FT'ed. Mathematica can not do continious FT, although
there is an extra-package for this at extra cost).
Now i use khoros for all the signal-processing-stuff.
If you need patches and hints how to install and configure khoros,
drop me an email.
There are two versions of khoros available, one commercial and the
other free. The difference is the documentation. The commercial version
includes several books on using khoros. The free one does not. But both
have the same online-documentation and there are some WWW-sites with
great documentation on using khoros.

Malte Lance

E-Mail: Malte Lance <malte@webmore.com>