Date:      Fri, 27 Feb 1998 11:38:32 -0500
From:      "Kaleb S. KEITHLEY" <k.keithley@opengroup.org>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: _POSIX_THREAD_SAFE_FUNCTIONS and *_r functions

Someone (who I can't cite because I inadvertantly deleted their email)
said:

  POSIX 1003.1 2.9.3 says if _POSIX_THREADS is defined, then
  _POSIX_THREAD_SAFE_FUNCTIONS must also be defined.

It's true that that's what POSIX says, but it's a simplistic answer, and
doesn't really address *everything* that POSIX says

Table 2.10 in 2.9.3 says "...if _POSIX_THREAD_SAFE_FUNCTIONS is defined
then the implementation supports the Thread Safe Functions option.

Section 4.2.4.2 says:

  If _POSIX_THREAD_SAFE_FUNCTIONS is defined: The getlogin_r()...

Section 4.7.2.2 says:

  If _POSIX_THREAD_SAFE_FUNCTIONS is defined: The ttyname_r()...

Section 5.1.2.2 says:

  If _POSIX_THREAD_SAFE_FUNCTIONS is defined: The readdir_r()...

Section 8.3.3.2 says:

  If _POSIX_THREAD_SAFE_FUNCTIONS is defined: The strtok_r()...

And so on for getpwnam_r, etc.

That means that if you don't have the Thread Safe Functions, then you
can't define _POSIX_THREAD_SAFE_FUNCTIONS. (And therefore you can't
define _POSIX_THREADS, which is sort of the reverse of the claim that if
you define _POSIX_THREADS then you must define
_POSIX_THREAD_SAFE_FUNCTIONS.)

--
Kaleb