Date:      Tue, 31 Jul 2007 22:33:48 -0700
From:      Garrett Cooper <youshi10@u.washington.edu>
To:        Rakhesh Sasidharan <rakhesh@rakhesh.com>
Cc:        Bram Van Steenlandt <bulkmail@diomedia.be>, Liste FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: updating multiple freebsd desktops

Rakhesh Sasidharan wrote:

> On Tue, 31 Jul 2007, Bram Van Steenlandt wrote:
>> So what I would really like is to make one machine the build/test
>> machine and keep this machine up to date with the ports and
>> portmanager or so.
>> Can I then set up some kind of repo with the packages from this
>> machine and run something like "yum upgrade" on every desktop we have ?
>
> 1. Use one machine as the build/ test machine. Let /usr/ports be on
> that, and shared to all the other machines.
>
> 2. Keep the ports tree up-to-date on this machine, and while building
> ports make packages too. (`make package-recursive` will do I guess).
> These will be stored on /usr/ports/packages.
>
> 3. On the clients, let /usr/ports be the shared one from the main
> machine.
>   a) If you want to find the packages that need updating, use
>      something like `pkg_version -l "<"`.
>   b) If you want to update *all* the packages, use something like
>      `portupgrade -aPP`.
>
> I haven't done any of these myself. Just that if I were in a situation
> such as yours, this is what I'd probably do.
>
> Regards,
> Rakhesh
rsync or some other means of sharing data may be better than a global
share as you might have one machine with a different architecture
building under a work directory in the /usr/ports directory.

You can modify your configuration to also use PKG_SITES, and run
pkg_fetch, pkg_add -r, or something similar as described in
<http://bsdpants.blogspot.com/2007_04_01_archive.html>.

Cheers,
-Garrett