Date:      Fri, 31 Aug 2001 10:17:32 -0500
From:      "Richard J. Kuhns" <rjk@grauel.com>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        cg@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problem with sound on fresh -stable (RC)

I just built/installed both world and kernel from freshly cvsupped sources
this morning (Aug 31), and I'm having some very annoying problems with the
sound driver.

I'm running an HP Brio which uses the i810 chipset.  I've been using the
ich driver for more than a month with no major problems; I'd downloaded it
from the original author and installed it myself before it was committed.
It didn't work perfectly, but I had no trouble listening to mp3s with xmms.
As of this morning, xmms will play anywhere from 0 to 4 songs and then hang
(ps reports it's in `poll').  I've had to turn off sound in xemacs
entirely; the first time it tries to play a sound it hangs, in `pcmsyn'
according to ps.  In both cases a simple `kill' will kill the process.

: moriarity$~; cat /dev/sndstat
FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm) Aug 31 2001 09:19:58
Installed devices:
pcm0: <Intel 82901AB (ICH)> at io 0x2000, 0x1840 irq 9 (1p/2r/0v channels duplex)
: moriarity$~;

Let me know what other info I can supply.

Thanks...
--
Richard Kuhns			rjk@grauel.com
PO Box 6249			Tel: (765)477-6000 \