Date:      Thu, 11 Jan 1996 21:53:03 -0500 (EST)
From:      Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
To:        terry@lambert.org (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, peter@jhome.DIALix.COM, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: SCSI Scanner anybody?

> I thought that read remainder was a target mode thing; you'd know, you
> did all the original scanner work, though.

You mean residual lengths.  That is independent and has to do with
being able to detect the number of bytes sent when it doesn't match
what you expect.  You are bringing up a good point and I'm not sure
which of our drivers support that.

It isn't always needed - on the Optronics scanner they send a fixed
control block that gives the details of the following data blocks
(block size, number of full blocks and remainder) so you always
know what to expect and can request the right amount for each
transfer - that way they don't have to count on residuals working
in all systems.

--

Peter Dufault               Real Time Machine Control and Simulation
HD Associates, Inc.         Voice: 508 433 6936