Date:      Wed, 13 Jan 1999 15:48:24 +0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
To:        "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
Cc:        Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: An ELF upgrade story

"Daniel O'Connor" wrote:

> On 13-Jan-99 Garrett Wollman wrote:
> >  First, a bit of disclaimer:
> >
> >  DON'T DO THIS.  Really.  I mean it.  At a minimum, don't expect anyone
> >  to help you if you try and it doesn't work.
> [ Story full of much potential pain ]
>
> >  DON'T ANYONE ELSE TRY THIS.
>
> Hmm.. looks like you just used up your good luck quota for this year =)

:-)

Actually, a lot of people can probably get away with doing this, but they
need to have enough clue to restart things when/if it blows up.

I built a 3.0-elf machine in december by:
- install 3.0-snap from earlier this year
- moving elf libs to aout subdir and rerunning ldconfig
- copying the ELF system binaries from another system (/bin, /usr/lib etc)
- cursing and swearing at truncating /usr/lib/aout/libc.so.3.x which tar
was using at the time.
- moving libs elsewhere to a temporary path and using ldconfig on that.
- recopied everything across.  Some files failed due to text file busy.
- then doing a 'make world'

It actually worked.  The reason I persivered was that it was a slow
machine (486) with a small amount of ram (16MB) compared to what I was
used to, and because I needed it in a hurry.  The machine has since sat
there quite happily for a couple of months and has never been rebooted
since.

There.. this is the other thing that YOU SHOULD NOT DO! :-)

Cheers,
-Peter