Date:      Tue, 29 Jan 2002 05:10:08 -0600
From:      "Mike Meyer" <mwm-dated-1012734609.d80ff5@mired.org>
To:        =?big5?q?AMI=20Root?= <amiroot@yahoo.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Question about cat command

=?big5?q?AMI=20Root?= <amiroot@yahoo.com> types:
> I'm using FreeBSD4.4 on a P5-166 machine with 64MB
> Ram. I found that I can "cat" a directory and it will
> list garbage. Is it a bug or I made anything wrong???

This has come up on the FreeBSD lists at least once before. Google the
archives if you want to hear a lot of different opinions.

It's not a bug. Directories are binary files, and need to be viewed
with something that either understands directories - like ls - or with
something that handles arbitrary binary files - like od or "cat -v".

	<mike