Date:      Thu, 15 Oct 1998 11:30:32 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        brian@Awfulhak.org (Brian Somers), mike@smith.net.au, rkw@Dataplex.NET, fjaccard@urbanet.ch, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [GIMPS] /proc/net/route needed

> > And doesn't work as dial-on-demand apps will have created the
> > necessary routing entries and UPd the interface already.
>
> This is absolutely the wrong level at which this should be implemented.

You're assuming a one-to-one mapping from interface to transport.

As things currently stand, ppp decides when which transports are used
based on the contents of ppp.conf.  There's no way any other program
can ask it ``what would happen if I gave you this packet'', as the
decision is partially based on the current packet load.

To implement things as a firewall management daemon, the daemon would
need to be smart enough to not only start ppp, but to instruct it on
which link[s] to use as a transport.  The daemon would also need to
have the facility to be told when a transport is no longer available,
and it would have to interrogate ppp as to how much traffic has been
sent down a given link.

Any program can configure a tun interface and multiplex the data in
whatever way it chooses.  The best that could be done to control this
would be to have a central ``transport policy'' file and some API for
reading/writing how many packets have been sent over which transports.

So, for the moment, I suspect things will remain the same; the public
interface layer will be brought up despite the lower layers not yet
being available.  When something arrives at the higher layer, the
dialup is performed.

[.....]

      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;