Date:      Wed, 17 Jun 1998 09:12:21 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Cejka Rudolf <xcejka00@dcse.fee.vutbr.cz>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ed1: device timeout?

> On Tue, 16 Jun 1998, Matthew Hagerty wrote:
> > I read the FAQ.  The problem is that the card is PCI and I cannot change
> > the IRQ.  It does not seem to be conflicting with any other PCI devices (it
> > is the only PCI card in the system) and it only has a UTP port which is
> > connected to my hub.  I'm using a known good cat-5 cable and a known good
> > port on the hub.

How do you perform the boot? Right after machine hard-boot or there is
possibility that _any_ software (even card BootRom) writes/reads _anything_
to/from your network card?

> Dan Busarow <dan@dpcsys.com> wrote:
> I've only seen the timeout message under two circumstances,
> resource conflict (shouldn't happen with PCI) and a bad/disconnected
> cable.

And there is third circumstance: Carefully read
the "DISKLESS and fxp0 problems" story! I have similar problems
with fxp0. ("fxp0: device timeout" - I'm getting crazy from
this message... Really.)

It looks like FreeBSD has _BIG_ problems with PCI bus!

Please, Is there anybody, who can make the same tests, as I made in
"DISKLESS and fxp0 problems"??? Please...

I'm ready to go to freebsd-hackers, to make some hacks in kernel, to make
more tests. But where? Is there any PCI master? Does anybody know which
difference is between

pci_open(1):  mode 1 addr port (0x0cf8) is 0x8000005c

and

pci_open(1):  mode 1 addr port (0x0cf8) is 0x80006018

?