Date:      Sun, 17 Nov 1996 22:35:39 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Iwan Leonardus <iwanleo@usa.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Questions

On Sat, 16 Nov 1996, Iwan Leonardus wrote:

> Thanks for the answer, but I was not asking about X windows
> configurations.

Sorry, you mentioned X and it sounded like you wanted to tune X.

> What I want to know is:  Kernel memory configuration, so when I want the
> machine to function as server, what should I do to make the machince run
> as server with maximum speed.  It also goes when I want it to do desktop
> oriented, cache usage for this and that, like "configure" at SCO unix.

There are a couple of items you CAN tune which you may need to do on a
busy server.

1.  maxusers -- a general parameter for various kernel memory buffers.
You might increase it a bit past 10.

2.  NMBCLUSTERS (?) -- network buffer clusters.  Can help solve unusual
network problems.

3.  Others -- MAXCHILD(?) and so forth can help on busy web servers.

Hopefully someone can jump in here and help me out on these numbers, I
haven't had to tune them on any of my machines but they don't see lots of
traffic.