Date:      Tue, 2 Oct 2001 09:09:10 -0500
From:      "Lee E. Hinman Ph.D." <hinman@networkcs.com>
To:        xique <xique-list@subatomic.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: traceroute only works after ping

This is just a guess but it sounds like the ping is correctly establishing
the NAT, while the traceroute does not.

Try doing:

traceroute -P tcp <host-to-traceroute-to>

traceroute is usually UDP and your router may not be setting up the NAT
correctly, this might fix the problem.

Lee

On 10/01, xique wrote:
> Perhaps someone can help explain this odd behavior. If I do a traceroute to
> any host on the Internet it times out. If I ping the host first and then do
> a traceroute it works fine.
>
> Things I have checked based on searching the mailing list archives:
>
> I am not running ipfw (firewall_enable="NO" in /etc/rc.conf)
> I am not running ipf (ipfilter_enable="NO" in /etc/rc.comf)
>
> Other facts:
>
> This machine is running a generic, clean copy of FreeBSD 4.4.
> I have a Linksys BEFSR11 (one-port) router with default configuration.
> My 'net connection is an AT&T/RoadRunner/MediaOne cable modem.
>
> Even though I have an easy work-around I'd still appreciate help figuring
> out why this is happening. Thanks!

End included message from xique

--
Lee E. Hinman, Ph.D.