Date:      Mon, 13 Jun 2011 07:48:29 +0100 (BST)
From:      Iain Hibbert <plunky@rya-online.net>
To:        Da Rock <freebsd-bluetooth@herveybayaustralia.com.au>
Cc:        bluetooth@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Asus bluetooth device - 0x1712

On Mon, 13 Jun 2011, Da Rock wrote:

> On 06/12/11 17:30, Iain Hibbert wrote:
> > On Sun, 12 Jun 2011, Da Rock wrote:
> > > Trying to get this device to work on my laptop (after some time of neglect
> > > -
> > > I've had no use or time to look into it as yet), but none of the drivers
> > > seem
> > > to be working. I've even tried the atheros driver by Rusty which doesn't
> > > appear to be the same device anyway.
> > >
> > > Under usbconfig I get:
> > > <vendor 0x0b05 product 0x1712, class 224/1, rev 2.00/19.15, addr 2>  on
> > > usbus5
> > >
> > > Any ideas?
> >
> > class 224/1 is wireless/rf, is there a way to check the device protocol?
> > it should be 1 (bluetooth) for the ubt driver to match..
>
> How do I find that out? Isn't it the rev number there? Or do I need to run a
> command to find that out? I can't physically look at the device as its built
> into the laptop board.

No, the rev number is the USB device rev number and AFAIK has no relevance
to anything..

usbconfig(8) manpage seems to be a bit sparse, you might have to check the
source for tips as to what it can print out..

if the device is built in, is there some way of disabling it? (my laptop
has a disable wireless switch, and also a disable bluetooth method.. mind
you, both of them cause the usb device to disappear entirely)

> > > Also, what is the state of bluetooth 2.x? Everything I've read has only
> > > mentioned 1.1.
> >
> > 4.0, 3.0&  2.x spec are all mostly backwards compatible (there are very
> > few deprecations) and the FreeBSD stack should continue to work on all
> > modern devices, albeit without advanced features..
> >
> Ok, I get that people are busy working on other (possibly) more important
> things, but what is required to get the advanced features working? Where can I
> find out the current status of these projects and how to help?

here :)

> I'm currently learning about this technology (I know, late bloomer and all...
> :) ) and its various features- which are why I'm looking carefully at it now
> for my current needs. Unfortunately its the advanced features which I really
> need :( So if I can help advance things I will.

what advanced features do you need?

iain

(btw I am not a FreeBSD person, I come from NetBSD but I congregate
here because us BSD guys got to stick together sometimes :)