Date:      Sun, 05 Nov 2000 22:39:07 +0000
From:      David Goddard <goddard@acm.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Remotely recovering from a crash

Hi,

I'm about to place a FreeBSD box in colocation and I'm trying to do
everything I can to minimise the need to physically visit the box in order
to get it up again after a crash (I've had more than one situation where it
spontaneously rebooted, at least one of which was of the typing dumb
commands as root variety).

The problem I am getting is that after an unclean shutdown, it always
complains that the /tmp filesystem is unclean and I have to run fsck -p
from the console.  It is only the /tmp fs that this happens to, I presume
because that was the only one being actively used when the box went down.

My question is:  Is there any way to configure the system so that it
automatically attempts to recover and (hopefully) boots?  Alternatively,
can someone let me know why this would be a Bad Idea anyway :-)

The system in question is running a fairly recent -STABLE, but I'm assuming
this is not a -stable specific question.  I have soft updates enabled on
some of the filesystems, including /tmp.

Thanks,

Dave