Date:      Wed, 11 Nov 1998 23:53:22 +0000
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        Dmitry Valdov <dv@dv.ru>
Cc:        Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>, Kris Kennaway <kkennawa@physics.adelaide.edu.au>, Brian Somers <brian@FreeBSD.ORG>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/usr.sbin/ppp ip.c

> > What do you suggest is changed ?  Ppp can't delete the default route
> > on it's own - it doesn't necessarily belong to ppp.
> >

> Why? If I have add default [...] in ppp.conf, and there is impossible to
> have 2 defaults then ppp shoul delete old default and make new :)

>From the man page:

       iface add[!] addr[[/bits| mask] peer]
         Add the given addr mask peer combination to the interface.  Instead
         of specifying mask, /bits can be used (with no space between it and
         addr). If the given address already exists, the command fails unless
         the ``!'' is used - in which case the previous interface address en-
         try is overwritten with the new one, allowing a change of netmask or
         peer address.

         If only addr is specified, bits defaults to ``32'' and peer defaults
         to ``255.255.255.255''. This address (the broadcast address) is the
         only duplicate peer address that ppp allows.

> > > Also there is one more bug - sometimes ppp don't detect carrier lost and
> > > stays in open state for a long time. :(
> >
> > Get the latest version from http://www.Awfulhak.org/ppp.html and
> > enable debug logging.  You'll see ppps idea of carrier.  I suspect
> > that either your modem is faking carrier all the time or that you're
> > running a very old version (2.2.5?).
> >

> 1. I'm running version from -current.
> 2. I've USR Sportster 28800 modem and my friend have an IDC modem. We are
> both experiencing the same problem.
>
> Please check it, I'm really shure that it isn't nmodem or user error :)

Have you tried enabling ``debug'' logs ?  Does it report the carrier
status correctly ?

      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;