Date:      Tue, 18 Apr 2006 11:40:23 +0300 (EEST)
From:      Dmitry Pryanishnikov <dmitry@atlantis.dp.ua>
To:        Scott Long <scottl@samsco.org>
Cc:        Marcus Alves Grando <mnag@freebsd.org>, FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>, Matt Jacob <mjacob@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: panic: softdep_move_dependencies: need merge code (driver mtp(4)?)

Hello!

On Mon, 17 Apr 2006, Scott Long wrote:
> Sorry, my answer to this is to move away from softupdates and
> towards journalling.  I'm working on that, albeit slowly due
> to the many other NFS and VFS bugs that I have to deal with.

  Oops, what has happened to softupdates? They have been working correctly
for decade or so. What has changed now? Have we suddenly hit some flaw
in theory, or it's just an implementation issue? I don't remember any
discussion on this topic, sorry if I've missed something obvious.

Sincerely, Dmitry
--
Atlantis ISP, System Administrator
e-mail:  dmitry@atlantis.dp.ua