Date:      Mon, 13 Aug 2001 23:54:24 -0700 (PDT)
From:      jim flournoy <bsdspaceman@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: I can't get my net install to work

I think I've got this email account set up as
text-based now.. Hollar at me if I'm wrong!

Flournoy wrote:

> > Hello all. I'm trying to install onto on old ibm
pc server. its a
> > p75 with a 3com509 nic and 2 4g scsi hd's. it has
no cdrom. i'm
> > trying to do a ftp installation as described on
the cd but it always
> > fails as soon as i change the 'release name' on
the options menu to -
> > any.
>
>Why are you doing that? '-' isn't a release name,
neither is 'any'.
>If I'm misunderstanding you and you actually typed
something
>different, please tell us exactly what it was.

I thought it said to do that in the install notes.  I
just typed "any" - without the quotes.  I actually
tried it with & without them, and it still seems to
fail.  And it doesn't seem to find the installation
image.  I'm doing an ftp install to my other freebsd
box with a cdrom using the same disto.  (I set it up
for just this purpose with 4.3) I successfully changed
the passwd file as described (aka add
ftp:*:99:99::0:0:FTP:/cdrom:/sbin/nologin) I tried
giving it the path ftp://192.168.0.10 and
ftp://192.168.0.10/cdrom - I just saw in the install
notes that it said to use
ftp://192.168.0.10/pub/FreeBSD, I'm not sure if this
applies to a cdrom install?  But I'll try, and no
doubt feel stupid if it works.  If this isn't the
recommended ftp path hollar at me some more..

BTW - on another similar note, can this be done using
a laptop as the data server?

Thanks again - Jim