Date:      Mon, 12 Feb 1996 13:10:00 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        chuckr@glue.umd.edu (Chuck Robey)
Cc:        FreeBSD-Questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sun monitors

Chuck Robey stands accused of saying:

> I just got hold of a Sun monitor.  It's a _huge_ thing, and I want to
> swap out my present MAG-17F for it.  I have a couple of problems, and I'm
> looking for assistance.  One thing is the cable that came with it.  One
> end is a perfectly normal 15 pin VGA, the other end has been hacked, and
> just ends in 5 wires.

You're going to have a lot of trouble with this monitor.  In particular,
you won't be able to run any of the VGA text modes on it, so you won't be
able to see your system booting (or failing to boot 8).

> What I need it the kind of connector that the Sun monitor seems to want,
> which is a very strange one: sort of a 25 pin D connector, with several
> of the pins being replaced with larger coax connectors.  Like a

This is a 13W3.  A fully assembled connector will run you about $50, and
several hundred more for the tooling to assemble it.  You can buy
Dsub15 to 13W3 cables, but expect to pay over $100 for them.

> D-connector on steroids.  Does anyone know where I might get one of these
> beasts, and maybe how to wire it?  I doubt I could even count pins right
> on it (unless maybe it comes labeled).

You'd be better piggybacking a Dsub15 off the connector inside and hacking
a hole for it in the case.

There are some details in various of the XFree documents about driving
these monitors; basically they're a fixed-scan unit that you will have to
tickle your card to pander to, in particular see the modeDB.txt file.

If your monitor is one of the 19" Sonys (GDM 19xx) you're going to
need a fairly decent video card to drive it above 1024x768.

> Chuck Robey                 | Interests include any kind of voice or data

]] "wherever you go, there you are" - Buckaroo Banzai                   [[