Date:      Sun, 1 Jun 2008 13:26:46 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        Derek Ragona <derek@computinginnovations.com>
Cc:        Kurt Buff <kurt.buff@gmail.com>, FreeBSD Questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Duplex printer advice

On May 31, 2008, at 6:34 PM, Derek Ragona wrote:

> At 04:12 PM 5/31/2008, Kurt Buff wrote:
>> All,
>>
>> I'm looking to replace my current printer - a Dell 1700n - because I
>> can't make it work with FreeBSD/Linux.
>>
>> To replace it, I'd like to get a duplex printer, as I really hate to
>> waste paper. Does anyone have good experience with one that isn't
>> terribly expensive (expensive to me means more than US$500) and that
>> works with with FreeBSD? Even better if it has Ethernet.
>>
>> I'm only finding (on ostg.pricegrabber.com) the Lexmark Optra T622DN
>> and T522DN, but don't know much about them.
>>
>> Anyone care to share?
>>
>> Kurt
>
> My 2 cents is I'd looks for a printer with a built-in network
> interface and that has postscript and pcl emulations.  In addition
> look at the replacement toner cost and figure out the cost of
> ownership across 3-5 years.
>
> I would look at lexmark, and samsung.  Lexmark have higher duty
> cycles (pages per month) and take larger toner cartidges.  The
> samsung's make nice work group low duty cycle printers.

Lexmark and Dell are infamous for expensive toner-lock-ins.

We had this discussion months ago where I recommended a Brother
HL-5250DN. I have about 12,000 trouble free pages on mine, just don't
bother trying to print envelopes.

Has ethernet, duplex, postscript emulation, PCL-6, just about
everything but a paper tray large enough to hold a full ream. Multiple
paper trays are an available but expensive and rare option.

Readily available from Staples and other places for $250. Refurbished
units occasionally appear for $100. The usual 3rd party toner places
have refills for under $20 that I've found are good for about 6,000
dense pages.

$187: http://bensbargains.net/deal/66407/

Staples recently (no longer) had refurbished Brother MFC-8660DN on
sale for $200. Appears to be the same printer and features plus
scanner with paper feed, and fax.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@HiWAAY.net