Date:      Fri, 01 Mar 1996 14:18:10 -0800
From:      "David M. Bostedo" <dbostedo@vt.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD help!!!!

>On Thu, 29 Feb 1996, David M. Bostedo wrote:
>
>> 	I haqve been trying to install FreeBSD on a partition of my
>> second hard drive on my 486 100MHZ IBM PC. Everything seemed to go fine
>> but I get the error that "Missing Operating System" when I try to boot
>> it. Your FAQ mentions this but I can't find where it gives the solution
>> to the problem.
>
>My guess is that you need to install the boot manager.  I assume you have
>dos/?? on the first disk.
>
>Pull tools/dos/bt17.zip off the cdrom (or ftp site), unzip, and install.
>You should then get a boot menu with dos? and BSD listed.
>
>> 	Do you know how I can find the correct geometry for my drive?
>
>Look on the disk?  (I have some disks that have the geometry ON the label)
>Look in BIOS setup?
>
>Doug White                              | University of Oregon
>Internet:  dwhite@gladstone.uoregon.edu | Residence Networking Assistant
>http://gladstone.uoregon.edu/~dwhite    | Computer Science Major

I had installed the boot manager before but reinstalled it again and it
gives me the same error: "Missing File System".  I installed the boot
manager on both drives as well but that didn't help. The boot manager
prompt looks as follows:

                F1   DOS
                F2   DISK2

F1 Works fine and boots (I am running Windows '95) but F2 still gives me
"Missing File System".

I can't see the label on my drive (I don't even know if there is one) as
it is mounted on the underside of my floppy drive. The BIOS doesn't have
it either. Any other suggestions?

					Thanks,

				David M. Bostedo

				dbostedo@vt.edu