Date:      Mon, 8 May 1995 10:56:22 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Arlie Davis <arlie@thepoint.net>
To:        Robert Withrow <witr@rwwa.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Help! My FreeBSD TCP stack is broken?

> I have had similar behavior: ICMP_ECHO indicated low latency,
> TCP throughput almost nonexistant.  I thought it was caused
> by the BPF (because it happened when I compiled in BPF).  But
> it went away after I rebooted.  I'm glad this happened to
> you because in confirms my problem.  I'm sorry I can't help
> though...  (BTW, my problems were with 2.0R (with the one
> line patch to PPP).  My network link was PPP, but since
> you had the problem with ethernet, it seems to be somthing
> higher up than the IF code...

Several people pointed out the source of the problem: RFC1323, which is big
TCP window support.  Turning this off (via "sysctl -w net.inet.tcp.rfc1323=0")
dramatically improves the system's useability.

Can someone explain why this happens?  Big TCP windows is a Good Thing,
but why does it sometimes break?

-- arlie