Date:      Thu, 16 Nov 2000 03:51:26 -0500
From:      Mark Sturge <techie-guy@home.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: failed 'make buildworld'

Kent Stewart wrote:

> I think you will need to turn off UDMA until you finish the upgrade to
> 4-stable. Most of the messages seem to have disappeared with the new
> drivers but getting to that point may be painful.
>
> You could also have a bad "ad1: 16500MB <FUJITSU MPD3173AT>" and it
> won't help.
>
> Kent

Thanks for the reply.  I ended up finding some messages in the archives with
similiar problems (once I found the archives).  I'll look around a bit more
next time before posting.  I have yet to disable UDMA (sysctl -w
hw.atamodes=pio), and will do so before I attempt a make buildworld again.  At
4:00am though, no thanks!  I'll save it for tomorrow.

Wasn't sure what you meant when you said, "Most of the messages seem to have
disappeared with the new drivers...".  UDMA wasn't a problem in the past
running make buildworld, but obviously something has changed that I am not
aware of.  I've been away from FreeBSD for a couple of months (unfortunate I
know), guess I have some catching up to do.  =/

As for the HDD, I guess it could be slowly dying on me (as I suspected).
Wouldn't I be so lucky...

Regards,

Mark

---