Date:      Tue, 23 Jun 1998 21:31:06 -0500 (EST)
From:      Andrew Short <Ashort@concentric.net>

This past weekend was VERY eventful for me.  I installed FreeBSD for the
first (and second and third...) time.  Every single problem that I had was
the direct result of PHYSICAL hardware failure (one) or my own ignorance
or stupidity (or combination thereof).  This is (as far as I can tell yet)
one _terrific_ OS.

Most of my *nix experience is playing with Linux, and I've played with
XFree86 in Linux, so I carry a VERY basic understanding from doing that,
but I have to say that _2_ things helped me SEVERELY.

1.  A VERY good friend of mine provided me with a "kid-tested,
mother-approved" XF86Config file.  As hardware goes, our XF86Config files
SHOULD be identical, and they are.  (Same monitor, video card, trackball,
have I left out anything?)  =)  I had literally _0_ tweaking to do
there...actually...I am now concerned with upping the sensitivity on the
trackball because the monitor is uhhh....too big.  =)

2.  My ravenous appetite for reading anything FreeBSD right up to the time
I started assembling the box.

Some minor points.

1.  I refuse to be beaten by this OS.  It WILL work because I know it can.
So far the OS hasn't issued much in the way of a challenge.  I've cut my
teeth (and a few gums) on Linux and it carries a lot of the blame for
being "difficult" for me...unfairly...because it is what I "learned the
basics" on.  I banged my head on a few keyboards while trying to "grasp"
unix in general, linux, AND XFree86, on old hardware that was never meant
to run those things.  (Packard <cough...sputter> Bell <wheeze...> yeah..I
_know_)

2.  I built this new box around the FreeBSD OS hardware list, With few
variations (and NO violations) from the "norm". I went IDE against the
advice of most around here...works great so far)... I've seen it written a
few times (and deduced for myself) that deciding on the OS _first_ was a
really good idea.  =)  I HAVE to agree.

3.  MOST of my frustration over the weekend was over a BRAND SPANKING NEW
hard drive that was bad right out of the box.  And I am still waiting on
the manufacturer to send me a new one.  Right now I am running XFree and
some other things on an old 405MB IDE drive.

4.  User ppp is a terrific package.  =)  It is MUCH more straight forward
than kernel ppp.  I may or may NOT decide to switch to kernel ppp...I
really don't have much of a problem initiating manual conenctions with
user ppp. It's that easy.  =)

In closing....SO FAR...I really don't see why...in the grand scheme of
things, that FreeBSD is seen as "more esoteric" than Linux.  Given the
PROPER hardware...this thing is a SNAP (pun intended?  maybe...)  =)  The
only real "weakness" is that FreeBSD is LESS likely to be cooperative on
any given existing platform...spec the box yourself and it's been a breeze
for me.  And _READ_ like your life depends on it...your computer's life
certainly does.  (This is proper and sound advice no matter WHAT OS you
run).

>From what I have seen...I could support this on desktops once I became
more familiar with it.  I would PREFER supporting this to Lose95 ("We need
a router in this office...guess Bobby's getting a 2nd NIC in his PC!").

And...I have one kick butt PC that was quite cheap as well.

I mean really...EXCELLENT job Core team!  (and committers too!)

THANK YOU!