Date:      Fri, 17 May 2002 02:43:45 -0700
From:      Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@icir.org>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   syslogd and inetd problems

Hi,
recently I have seen the following problems with inetd and syslogd,
so was wondering if my diagnose is correct, other have seen them,
and how urgent is a fix.

syslogd:

 + i am using syslogd to log to a remote system. From time to time,
   the syslog daemon stops sending to the remote system, and I need
   to restart it. Haven't traced the problem in detail, but it usually
   happens across some network outage between the two.

   A high level inspection of the code in syslogd.c suggests that
   the daemon closes the connection on a sendto failure, which is
   probably not the smartest thing to do. At the very least, the
   code should implement some recovery mechanism.

inetd

 + i have a soekris box running inetd and bootpd and a few other simple
   services. The box is connected to a switch powered by the same power
   strip.
   I noticed that upon a recent power outage, inetd came up "deaf", i.e.
   it did not seem to receive bootp requests, even though I can see them
   running a tcpdump on the box (and I can ssh into the box, of course).
   The fix was to issue a 'kill -HUP' to the inetd process.

   Here, i suspect that the soekris box is somewhat faster than the
   switch to come up, for some reason inetd fails to do some operation on
   the socket, and this prevents further activity.

   Now, the inetd code seems to use a call to alarm() to deal with
   bind() failures, but i am not sure how effective is the process.

	cheers
	luigi