Date:      Fri, 30 Aug 2002 09:32:50 +0200
From:      Christoph Kukulies <kuku@physik.rwth-aachen.de>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   overlapping wireless lans (WAPs)

First off excuses for being not quite FreeBSD centric, but I appreciate the
expertise here:

We are using a couple of WAPs made by a Mfgr., named 'Level One'.
It is 802.11b standard. Someone told me yesterday, that each of these
WAPs can only serve 11 clients. I didn't find a note on that anywhere but
I admit that I didn't much care about it until now. Maybe it's a
technology inherent issue (frequency multiplex slots etc etc)

Now we are in the situation that we have to serve 30 notebooks in
one room. I'm thinking of solving it in the following way
and would like to ask whether this is the correct approach:

Give every WAP a different network name (phys1,phys2,phys3 for example)
and let the notebook users pick from one of these networks.

 From which symptom does one recognize that a WAP has subsumed all its
slots. Am I right with that assumption at all, that there is a
limitation in the number of clients?

I'd appreciate comments.  Thank you.
--
Chris Christoph P. U. Kukulies kukulies@rwth-aachen.de