Date:      Sun, 26 Sep 1999 16:25:08 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <mark@ukug.uk.freebsd.org>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Help with RCS files, patches, and PR's required.

I'm a relative newbie to using the ports so apologies if this is
a dumb question, but I did read the Handbook, FAQ, and several
other docs when I installed cvsup and started using it.

I've just made patches for the bochs port for the latest source
code (990925, which allows Win95 to install without bombing at the
first reboot) and was about to submit a PR but then I noticed that
most (all?) port patches are diffs against the RCS (*,v) files.

OK, I'll do the same, but then I find I don't have any RCS files
on my system.

I use cvsup to keep my ports and docs trees up to date and one
thing I thought cvsup did the first time it was run was to build
a local RCS tree, in fact I believe(d) that it is exactly these
files that cvsup uses to determine what needs to be updated.

Furthermore I've got the patches submitted for the latest version
of the wine(1) source code (ports/13952) and these are indeed diffs
against the RCS files, so without local copies of these how can I
apply the patches other than by hand?

I'm now baffled. Can someone explain where I've gone wrong and what
I should do to correct things?

Thanks.

--
STATE-OF-THE-ART: Any computer you can't afford.
OBSOLETE: Any computer you own.