Date:      Sun, 12 Nov 2000 07:55:32 -0600
From:      Tim Tsai <tim@futuresouth.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   periodic and 310.accounting

I was trying to look for some accounting logs today and noticed the
periodic mechanism and specifically /etc/periodic/daily/310.accounting.
It seems to me keeping logs for the past 3 days isn't really enough and
the much smarter way is the method used by /etc/newsyslog.conf.  Actually,
I'd prefer to use newsyslog.conf to handle the accounting files as well.

My question is, how do I accommodate this desire without having to modify
/etc/daily/310.accounting each time we update the system.  Seems like a
default override would be useful.  This might apply to other system log
files as well.  Please note that we are quite capable of changing the
scripts to suit our needs I just don't want to get out of sync with the
system.

PS:  how exactly does periodic get called?  It's not in root's crontab.

Thanks,

Tim