Date:      Tue, 29 Oct 1996 08:36:20 +0100 (MET)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org (FreeBSD hackers)
Cc:        cskim@cslsun10.sogang.ac.kr (Kim Chang Seob)
Subject:   Re: your mail

As Kim Chang Seob wrote:

(Btw., Subject: and To: lines are great.  Don't drop them!)

> 1. after exec(), when process request his physical memory,
>    how many memory is allocated or what percent(%) is allocated?

Nothing, i believe.  All it gets is virtual memory.

If some parts of the inherited text segment are in-core (which is very
likely :), the new process will also have physical memory mapped.  But
there's no formula.

>    and where is frame allocation function?

Which frame?  What allocation?

> 2. when process request his memory,
>    how memory is allocated?

Page-faulted, as the new process needs it.  I.e., as soon as memory is
referenced but not yet in-core, it is brought in from secondary
storage (file image, swap space).

> 3. in vm_fault.c , VM_FAULT_READ_AHEAD is 4 and
>    VM_FAULT_READ_BEHIND is 3.
>    I don't know how 3 or 4 is selected?

Empirical, i believe, but that's a question for the VM gurus.

Btw., i suggest you a good book explaining a virtual memory
architecture.  The only one i know personally is ``The 4.4BSD
Operating System.  Design and Implementation.''  It's published by
Addison-Wesley.

--
cheers, J"org