Date:      Thu, 18 Sep 1997 21:56:02 +0200
From:      Peter Korsten <peter@grendel.IAEhv.nl>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ISDN Modems

(Please follow-up to freebsd-chat.)

Luigi Rizzo shared with us:
> > To be honest with you I thought about this for a few months, If you in the
> > US the best solution is something like an Ascend Pipeline 50 router (no
> > firewall) ($599), with a crossover (included) to an inexpensive NE2000
> > card ($40). This is about twice as expensive as a Motorola Bitsurfer
>
> I think in europe as well it is way more convenient to have a router
> instead of an internal card. Prices are in fact comparable (I would say
> even a little bit lower) to those mentioned above, and going through a
> messy serial device driver does not help at all. The simplicity in
> setting up things pays back much more than the extra cost.

Personally, I think your own ISDN router is a bit overkill at home.
The elegant thing about an ISDN card is that it's a digital interface,
just like Ethernet, that plugs right into your computer. No fuss
with wiring, just a simple RJ-45 plug and your connected to the
rest of the world.

This also makes a FreeBSD box with an ISDN card an ideal 'Internet-
box' for a small company. Put an ISDN card plus an Ethernet in it
(and pray that they don't start mixing up the UTP and ISDN connec-
tors :) ) and you can use it as a dial-up proxy server, mail/uucp
host, news server for selected newsgroups, firewall, you name it.

You can do it with NT server too (boy, Microsoft sure is pushing
it's stuff towards small companies, I noticed this week), but at
far higher costs for both hardware and software. Just grab the ole'
386 off the shelves and use it with FreeBSD.

> Now if ISDN cards were sold in volumes and priced reasonably (i.e.
> as much as an NE2000, since they are actually simpler!) and accessed
> through a dedicated device driver, then things would certainly be
> different.

You really don't want to know what I paid for my ISDN card: nothing.
The Dutch PTT wants to shove as much ISDN connections as possible,
so they have special offers once in a while where you get the ISDN
connection and the card for free, when you swap you analog line.
You only have the cost of an A/B-adapter then.

There must be some sort of vicious scheme behind it, but I haven't
been able to figure it out yet.

- Peter