Date:      Wed, 22 Apr 1998 16:51:28 +0800
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and BSDI binary compatibility

On Mon, 20 April 1998 at 20:29:22 -0700, Doug White wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Apr 1998, Lynn Gazis wrote:
>
>> Will binaries compiled on FreeBSD also run on BSDI?
>
> Probably not. FreeBSD's binary format is pretty unique.  Depends on what
> you're doing though.

In fact, FreeBSD uses the old a.out format which has been around for
decades.  It's also one of the few things in which FreeBSD lags behind
the times, though that is about to change.  BSDI used to use the same
format, and I'm sure it will still understand it.  Any compatibility
problems will be matters of detail or shared libraries.

Greg