Date:      Wed, 20 Sep 2000 02:16:22 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Janko van Roosmalen <janko@compuserve.com>
To:        amir hossein namegoshayfard <amirh2@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: question about fixing bad sector  with  freebsd

On Mon, 18 Sep 2000, amir hossein namegoshayfard wrote:

> hello sir
> this is second email that i write to you . would you please help me to
> get freebsd from ftp site.
> i whant to know which part or which program of freebsd should i download
> from internet to put out the bad sector from the sector table .
> and would you give me the exact address of the directory or folder in ftp
> site .
> thank you.

RE: Mapping out bad sectors

For the old MFM disks you had to make a bad sector list table. Most disks
came with a utility from OnTrack to do this.
Modern IDE drives will map out bad sectors automatically. You do not have
to do this at all. I have no experience with SCSI.

The BSD handbook, which you can download from www.freebsd.org, mentions
something about bad sector mapping on MFM disks. Under Linux checking for
bad sectors is done during the "formatting" process. I assume the
situation with FreeBSD to be similar.

Maybe somebody else on the list can shed more light on this subject.

RE: Installing from FTP

You have to download two floppy disks images. Directions how to do this
and what to do afterwards are on  www.freebsd.org.

Janko van Roosmalen - Vught - Netherlands