Date:      Wed, 25 Feb 1998 18:14:22 +0000
From:      Mark Blackman <tmb@rcru.rl.ac.uk>
To:        shimon@simon-shapiro.org
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SMP success on W6-LI

> We had a case where installing FreeBSD on a machine would succeed perfectly
> well except that upon re-boot, the MBR would still try to boot Win95, find
> FreeBSD instead and barf.
>
> The short version of it is that there is some protection in the BIOS
> against trying to install non-M$ operating system in the machine.  This was
> confirmed by the vendor's support and empirically by swapping drives, or LL
> format, both which succeed in confusing the check;  Turns out there is some
> signature in the MBR that the BIOS records when first encountering the
> disk.  The excuse is virus protection, but the reality is that even with
> ``Virus Protection''' OFF, the feature is still alive.
>
> I hesitate to quote names here as this is a major little-i partner and I do
> not have the proof in my hand anymore.

that's useful to know, but I'm pretty sure it's not an issue in my case.
For the record, I performed  a low-level format of the SCSI disk before
use. More importantly, the disk never got anywhere near any degenerate MS
"products" and was completely unsullied when FreeBSD was introduced
to it.

* Mark Blackman                                                         *
* Radar Meteorologist, Radar Group                                      *
* Radio Communications Research Unit                                    *
* Rutherford Appleton Laboratory        E-mail: tmb@rcru.rl.ac.uk       *
* Chilton, Didcot                       Tel:    +44-1235-446126         *
* Oxon OX11 0QX, United Kingdom         Fax:    +44-1235-446140         *