Date:      Fri, 09 Jun 2000 08:07:47 +0100
From:      Richard Smith <rsmith@trltech.co.uk>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
Cc:        rdls@rdls.net, FreeBSD Mobile <mobile@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: apm and 5.0-CURRENT and Dell Inspiron

Mike Smith wrote:

> > I decided to trash a perfectly good 3.4-PAO installation on my Dell
> > Inspiron 7500 and replace it with the 5.0-20000506-CURRENT snapshot on
> > disk one of the June 2000 toolkit.
> >
> > The installation went like a dream and everything was back up an running
> > within a couple of hours. Except for two minor problems:
> >
> > 1) apm which worked on 3.4-PAO does not even appear in dmesg (output
> > attached), although it is listed in GENERIC.
>
> You probably left the 'disable' keyword in your kernel config.

(sheepishly) I did. It's working now :-)

> (I can say this with certainty, becuse I use APM (heavily) on my 7500 all
>  the time.)

I bought the 7500 based on a recommendation that you posted to -mobile,
and I must say that I am very pleased with it.

> > 2) xli with the -fillscreen option paints a white screen.
>
> With no data at all on your X setup, this is impossible to guess at, but
> it sounds like another configuration error.

xli-1.16 works with both my 3.4/XFree86 and 5.0/Xig configurations on
separate hardware, whereas xli-1.17.0 fails on both systems (using the
command: `xli -fillscreen -onroot daemon1-HQ-1280x960.jpg'). I will
report the problem to the author/maintainer.

Many thanks,
Richard.