Date:      Tue, 31 Aug 1999 23:02:50 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   The ongoing Brett thread.

First, let me just say that since I don't subscribe to this list (too
much noise), I haven't been following the discussions and don't really
want to get sucked into any either; I'm too busy right now doing many
of the things which Brett seems to feel I'm not doing to waste my time
in an extended flame war.

I'm also not sure if I even understand Brett's concerns about "Walnut
Creek CDROM taking FreeBSD private" since that's nothing we've ever
shown the slightest inclination to do and to even worry about such a
thing happening strikes me as nothing short of paranoid.  If one is
frequently chased by little green aliens then one has every right to
worry about them, but if one has never even SEEN a little green alien
then it's probably rational to assume that it shouldn't rank high on
one's list of personal worries.  It has always been Walnut Creek
CDROM's wish that FreeBSD be as open as possible, we've never made any
bones about that fact, and we've even sneakily tried sending sample
copies of our CDs to known pirates in Asia in hopes that they'd copy
the heck out of the disks and spread them (and the FreeBSD cause) far
and wide.  Since that doesn't seem to have worked (the pirates are
picky and only seem to go for the high-dollar value products), Bob and
I are going to Japan, Hong Kong and China next month to try the more
direct route.  We want FreeBSD to cover the earth and we'll do
whatever we can to make that happen.

I also take issue with Brett's assertion that he's somehow
single-handedly responsible for FreeBSD's recent exposure in the Linux
market since that only a grave disservice to the time and energy that
I and many others have invested in showing up at Linux conferences,
participating in open source panels, going to the O'Reilly show, doing
television interviews, writing articles for electronic and paper
publications, etc etc.  In fact, I can't recall seeing anything from
Brett since the article in "Smart Reseller" and that was more than 8
months ago.  I'm happy and even a little proud to say that my own
recent efforts at doing PR have been far more timely and effective
than anything I've seen recently from Brett, and I've every reason to
be - I've worked damn hard at it lately!

I'm also well aware that the Boston Globe interview I recent did was
rather heavily slanted against us and I've already commented in
-advocacy on how my words were taken out of context and otherwise
heavily filtered by a journalist with a pre-existing agenda, but
sometimes you just have to take the good with the bad.  If I only did
interviews with journalists I knew and trusted personally, I'd miss
out on the many *positive* opportunities for good PR and I probably
also wouldn't be in the Wall Street Journal this week (keep an eye
open for that article, I think it's going to be everything that the
Boston Globe article was not).  I also hope to get a few inches in
Byte Online this month and the 6 different magazine interviews I did
in Japan (C Magazine, Unix User, Software Design, Linux magazine and
the intro issue of the new "Linux/BSD" magazine) have all shown up in
the July/August/September issues and appear to be quite good.  My
sincere thanks to the folks in Japan who organized that press tour and
deserve a great deal of credit for establishing venues that I and
Satoshi Asami were able to speak at.  With their help, it went very
well and was definitely worth our time.

As Satoshi's experience also shows, I'm hardly the only one around
here capable of doing PR and I encourage each and every one of you to
"get on the stump" and take every opportunity you can to spread the
word.  Contrary to what was said earlier, I've also *never* objected
to "linux style advocacy" and think that many of the things that Linux
has done are quite obviously effective or we wouldn't be seeing the
Linux penguin on everything from T-shirts to condoms.  What I've only
(and always) objected to was "attack advocacy", where one tries to
score points for one's product by attacking the competition.  I've
also referred to this as "rabid advocacy" in the past and I've always
been quite clear with Brett, in email and in person, that it's THIS I
object to and really would regard as a step down to see done on the
FreeBSD side.

Even though it may generate what look like short-term gains to turn
around and slam your competition, I think the long-term effects are
only negative and there is always a large contingent of folks who
*don't* react well to this kind of "advertising" and will,
furthermore, never forget it if you do it so much as ONCE.  When it
comes to mud-slinging, memories are long and I think we've all worked
too hard to have a reputation for more maturity and level-headedness
than this.  Sure, there is probably always some collection of angry
teens out there who won't flock to your cause if you're not burning
something or getting a gang together to go kick the other side's
butts, but that kind of "action" is not our cup of tea and I prefer to
leave the knife-fighting for the West Side Story fans and those who
feel that they're not achieving something if they haven't kicked a few
puppies before breakfast.

I think we can do better than this, we HAVE done better than this, and
we will CONTINUE to do better than this if I have anything at all to
say about it.  As David has already pointed out, FreeBSD is growing
very rapidly right now, we're getting more "column inches" in the
press than ever before and the health of the FreeBSD product line at
Walnut Creek CDROM has never been better.  These are certainly not the
signs of a "dying effort", as our detractors so frequently love to
claim, and this hardly seems like the time to try and pull defeat from
the jaws of victory by turning to a non-productive and needlessly
confrontrative stragegy when the current one IS working whether
certain individuals choose to acknowledge the manifest truth of that
or not.  If people weren't paying attention then I wouldn't be in the
position of having to actually turn down certain speaking engagements
now due to having a surplus of them and only one body to be in a
single place at a time.  I also don't think I'd be getting invited to
anywhere near as many linux shows and linux events (in which we're
graciously invited to share the spotlight) if I chose to slam them out
of some ill-defined and immature marketing ideal which substituted
sheer volume for substance.

As always, please keep an eye on the press page at www.freebsd.org for
updates on FreeBSD in the press.  Many of us are working very hard and
racking up the frequent flier miles (to say nothing of jet lag) in the
service of FreeBSD evangelism and the proof of our efforts is both
very tangible and available for all to see, even if we aren't always
as good as we should be at keeping the press page up to date
(something for which I also share significant responsibility - I've
been so busy, I haven't even had a chance to keep Mr. Koshy updated on
my own interview schedule).  I apologise for that and will work harder
to keep everyone aware of the FreeBSD articles I manage to get into
print, radio and television.

I hope to see you all at FreeBSDCon '99!

- Jordan