Date:      Fri, 20 Feb 2009 09:55:37 -0600
From:      Adam Vandemore <amvandemore@gmail.com>
To:        prad <prad@towardsfreedom.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: video editor

prad wrote:
> any recommendations for software that can join or split wmv, mpg, avi
> etc etc?
>
> i came across mencoder for joining on this page
> http://mindspill.net/computing/linux-notes/how-to-join-video-files-in-linux.html
> but i don't really know much about this sort of thing so i'm looking
> for suggestions.

Some files like mpg's you can just cat together and pipe to files then
run through ffmpeg.  Merging files of different and various types can be
done with ffmpeg -i.  I've had occasional troubles with ffmpeg choking
on certain files then having to turn to mencoder or vice versa.
mencoder is more powerful than ffmpeg in general which means ffmpeg is
easier to learn.  If you prefer more of a gui approach, avidemux2 is a
good app.

--
Adam Vandemore
Systems Administrator